Why am I Doing This?

Welcome! I'm happy to see you decided to join me on my journey. As part of my Leadership in Postsecondary Education course (EAD 963), I am keeping a journal regarding my thoughts on the readings, class discussions, and how all of it relates to me.

As is mentioned in Leading with Soul, "we can't all go it alone" (p. 7). So, I invite you to comment on my posts. We'll see where this journey takes me . . . and us.

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Week 2: Leadership Traditions & New Thinking

These readings provided more questions, then answers. Oh the joys of leadership and the writings about leadership. When I read about the different views of leadership, I can see the reasoning behind much of what is shared. However, there are some many views of leadership that a definition of leadership, or what makes a great leader, seems to near impossible to determine. I like the idea of taking a little bit from one reading and another bit from a second reading until I get enough of what I think as a leader.

THEN, there are the readings that talk about masculine and feminine traits. Are there better traits? The original thoughts of leadership were connected to masculine traits.

Interesting thoughts from the readings:
"The individual looking for a way to become a leader seeks models that reflect her own beliefs and that are found in what they believe to be relevant life histories." (Curry, p. 12)

Gardner shared the tasks of leadership:


  1. Envisioning Goals

  2. Affirming Values

  3. Motivating

  4. Managing

  5. Achieving Workable Unity

  6. Explaining

  7. Serving as a Symbol

  8. Representing the Group

  9. Renewing
"Leadership is not tidy." (Gardner, p. 22)

McCall looked at creative leaders through a different lens: traits that could be seen as negative:
Crafty, Grouchy, Dangerous, Feisty, Contrary, Inconsistent, Evangelistic, Prejudiced, Spineless

"Because the nature of creativity is making opposites fit and frames of reference clash, what we really may be talking about is reactive reflection, broad parochialism, unorthodox conventionalism, and solid illusions." (McCall, p. 120)

"How do those in positions of authority or aspiring to those roles construct a meaningful and manageable identity as leaders? Where do they look for support and inspiration? How do they learn to lead?" (Amey, p. 55). How do they learn to lead?

"Looking at leadership through the lens of a single discipline has not worked" (Rost, p. 182)

I didn't really think much about my own leadership journey during these readings. I saw these as different ways to view leadership and the traits of "good" leadership.

No comments:

Post a Comment