Why am I Doing This?

Welcome! I'm happy to see you decided to join me on my journey. As part of my Leadership in Postsecondary Education course (EAD 963), I am keeping a journal regarding my thoughts on the readings, class discussions, and how all of it relates to me.

As is mentioned in Leading with Soul, "we can't all go it alone" (p. 7). So, I invite you to comment on my posts. We'll see where this journey takes me . . . and us.

Sunday, April 1, 2012

Week 13: Transformational & Transactional Leadership

Transformational and transactional leadership seem to be a popular topic of discussion of late regarding leadership and leaders.  While reading about both of them, I wonder where I fall as a leader.  From what I read and understand, I get the sense that transformational leadership is seen as more ideal.  However, while reading Bensimon's article introducing the concept "trans-vigorational" leaders, I started thinking that transactional leaders and leadership is also valid.

"Transactional leaders consider the relationship between leaders and followers as a two-way process of exchange and mutual influence."  "Transformational leaders initiate relationships which raise followers to new levels of morality and motivation."  Benismon stated that "trans-vigorational" leaders are a mixture of the two other leadership styles.

I want to be able to help those with whom I work to develop as a persona and as a professional.  Does that mean that I am more transformational, or is it more transactional?  I also believe that I can learn from those around me which leads me to see a more transactional view.

Birnbaum asked, "How much of a difference do leaders make?"  He continues by saying why universities don't change that much with a new president.  He says that the reason is that the president is only one element in whatever reform is taking place and unless the president is reform-focused, the it won't be supported.  I liked the following statement Birnbaum shared, "Presidents can lead only where their institutions and society permit them to go, and excessive attention to executive leadership may obscure the importance of history, culture, and leadership dispersed throughout the institution."

President Dubois, University of Wyoming, handled several crises well and spoke well about the process.  The 8 lessons he provided are very valid and something we all should remember when we are in leadership positions.

So, what kind of leader am I?  I like the idea of a mixture of transactional and transformational, but I am still learning . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment