Why am I Doing This?

Welcome! I'm happy to see you decided to join me on my journey. As part of my Leadership in Postsecondary Education course (EAD 963), I am keeping a journal regarding my thoughts on the readings, class discussions, and how all of it relates to me.

As is mentioned in Leading with Soul, "we can't all go it alone" (p. 7). So, I invite you to comment on my posts. We'll see where this journey takes me . . . and us.

Sunday, April 15, 2012

Week 14: Thinking Beyond the Hierarchy: Leadership Team

This is the week that I co-facilitated the class discussion with Aleece.  Our main objective was to change up the dissemination of information and conversation.  It seemed that the typical facilitation involved half of the class discussing the readings and then the rest of the class dividing into small groups.  We decided to include clips from current sitcoms and stories from the Chronicle of Higher Education.  Now, my reflections . . .

As with all of the other readings, I try to reflect on my own experiences and try analyze past events that relate to the current discussion topic.  In the case of this week, I've been in several leadership teams throughout my career and I can see how the information relates.

One of our readings discussed the importance of "bridging".  In other words, moving beyond an "us vs. them" mentality and towards a "we" one.  I think about the perceived struggles between academic affairs and student affairs.  Until we all see ourselves as assisting in the development of the holistic student, the concept of bridging will be difficult.  I hope that when the time comes, I can be one of those bridgers . . . someone who can work with others in separate departments and bring those involved into a cohesive team that is focused on the end result . . . not on what is "in it for them".  When we come with our own agendas, the larger, group agenda will, most likely, be abandoned; well, at least for part of the time.  Why is it difficult for individuals to put aside their own agendas and focus on the larger, group agenda?

Another topic related to leadership teams that was discussed was the concept of the "web of inclusion".  This is different than the typical hierarchical view of leadership teams.  The chapter began with a story about "The Village Voice," a newspaper from Greenwich Village in New York City.  The owner was very dedicated to the development of the paper and of the individuals.  This passion resonated with the employees, who could suggest changes and who were supported, and the paper was successful.  Eventually, the paper was sold and the initial culture of the newspaper changed because the owner was no longer there and it changed hands.  This is an example of the web of inclusion.  I would like to believe that it is possible to have a web of inclusion with a built in hierarchy-type team.  It depends on what the "leader" of the group is willing to do with the team.  I've been in the role of chair of a committee.  Granted, I know what cannot change and what can.  I believe that I put that out to the group as soon as possible.  Since I knew how I could be seen as the chair, I focused on giving everyone the opportunity to provide suggestions for processes and allowed for discussion.  I believed that I looked at the situations from all angles before providing a suggestion on how to move forward.

I know that in my future career path, I will continue to work with leadership teams, either as the "leader" or as a "follower".  The information provided in these readings is beneficial in that it provides me with additional thoughts to consider when in those teams.

No comments:

Post a Comment