Why am I Doing This?

Welcome! I'm happy to see you decided to join me on my journey. As part of my Leadership in Postsecondary Education course (EAD 963), I am keeping a journal regarding my thoughts on the readings, class discussions, and how all of it relates to me.

As is mentioned in Leading with Soul, "we can't all go it alone" (p. 7). So, I invite you to comment on my posts. We'll see where this journey takes me . . . and us.

Thursday, February 2, 2012

Week 4: Leader Cognition and Development

Wow! This week's readings really made me think about myself, my own leadership development, and how I work as a leader. What makes us become the leader we are? Does are gender play a role it it? That seems to be a big question in the realm of leadership readings.

One of our readings (Amey), shared a study in which Women's Ways of Knowing was used in relation to leadership: separate, connected, and constructed. From the paper, I kept thinking that an effective leader needs a little bit of both (separate and connected). In other words, they need to focus on the nuts and bolts of being a leader, but a large part of that is the relationships. If the relationships are not culitvated, then what can a leader really accompish? It connects with the previous week's readings on followership.

Several of the readings discussed the importance of our childhood plays in our leadership identity. I've thought about this for me quite a bite lately. I wonder what in my childhood led me to want to be seen as a leader. I did an autoethnography in my qualitative research methodology class last semester. In it, I explained that I ran for class treasurer every year in high school but was never elected. What led me to want to do this? Was it my desire to be accepted in high school and being a class officer would help? Or was it that I wanted to simply be seen as a leader? I am the fourth of five children; my oldest sister is 9 years older than me and my younger brother is 3 years younger. I'm sure this make up played a large part in my identity development. However, I cannot pinpoint how.

In class, we were asked to identify the leader roles our family members held. This was difficult for me because nothing stuck out to me. I can't think of any time my brothers or sisters held a leader role (formal or informal). As for my parents, I thought of some things, most of it was connected with our church. Which can be seen as servant leadership. As for my grandparents, I have no clue what roles they played since my grandfathers passed before I was born and my grandmothers were essentially retired by the time I could remember interactions. So, I can't say that I had strong examples that led my desire to be seen as a leader.

Someone in class mentioned their grandparents and how parents saw similarities. This made me wonder about me and my grandparents. Do my parents see as resemblances? I need to ask them about this next time I see them.

One of the books we are reading is Leading with Soul. I initially read this while working at BGSU as a professional development. I remember that is resonated with me and I did quite a bit of highlighting. Now, I'm reading it again and still believe that it resonates with me. I would say that it can help a person in any difficult part of their lives. I wished I read it again in 2008 when I was going through a difficult time personally. It may have helped me work through it and become a stronger person.

I enjoy that the book does not necessarily give straight answers but allows the reader to reflect and analyze herself. It identified the difference between the "soul" and the "spirit". I need to think more about these as they connect with me.

Okay--more to come.

1 comment:

  1. You questioned why you wanted to be treasurer (a leader) and then mentioned how you were number 4 of 5 children. I saw a connection there in that in big families some people may feel blended and forming one's identity can prove to be a daunting and often difficult task. In seeking leadership positions we are able to stand out as an individual and it becomes easier to create our identity. At least that's my thoughts on the matter... :)

    ReplyDelete