Why am I Doing This?

Welcome! I'm happy to see you decided to join me on my journey. As part of my Leadership in Postsecondary Education course (EAD 963), I am keeping a journal regarding my thoughts on the readings, class discussions, and how all of it relates to me.

As is mentioned in Leading with Soul, "we can't all go it alone" (p. 7). So, I invite you to comment on my posts. We'll see where this journey takes me . . . and us.

Monday, February 20, 2012

Week 7: Contextual Aspects of Leadership, part 2

As I was thinking about this week, I realized that the semester is almost half over. How does that happen so quickly? I sometimes feel that it has just started. Oh, well. Two weeks until spring break! :)

Now, on to this week's readings. The majority of the readings focused on women in leadership roles, specifically African American and Latina women. There was another article looking at the leadership in American Indian societies. It is interesting to see how leadership concepts are seen through the multiple lenses of individuals. African American women not only struggle due to their gender, but also their race. It was interesting to read in a couple of chapters that women and persons of color are held to a higher standard regarding leadership roles then white men. If a white male president make a mistake, it seems like it is no big deal; he will probably be hired for another presidential position. However, if a female made a similar mistake, forgiveness does not to be an option.

This notion makes me think about the president of the Southern Illinois University system. There was a claim that he plagiarized his dissertation. He stayed in office during the investigation and continued working. If this happened to an white female, who she be welcomed to stay in the role while it was investigate?

Another topic that makes me ponder on future research interests is how women are treated differently then men. There were comments about how women cannot wear the same outfit during the same month or there will be gossip; however, men typically have 4 suits and they wear them essentially on a weekly basis and no one says anything about them. Why does this view still exist? When will women been seen as humans who are capable of making mistakes. It could be argued that white men should be held at a higher standard IF they are seen as more qualified than African Americans or women.

Something to ponder . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment