Why am I Doing This?

Welcome! I'm happy to see you decided to join me on my journey. As part of my Leadership in Postsecondary Education course (EAD 963), I am keeping a journal regarding my thoughts on the readings, class discussions, and how all of it relates to me.

As is mentioned in Leading with Soul, "we can't all go it alone" (p. 7). So, I invite you to comment on my posts. We'll see where this journey takes me . . . and us.

Sunday, February 12, 2012

Week 6: Contextual Aspects of Leadership (Part 1)

This week's readings seems to range from cross-cultural themes to what makes a "bad" leader. The readings covered narcisstic leaders, contrarian leaders, and change agents in higher education. The chapter by Steven Sample (The Contrarian's Guide to University Leadership) provided several statements that stimulated thought. Sample shared his 70/30 Formula for Top Leadership: 30% of the time should "be spent of really substative matter and no more than 70% on reacting to or presiding over trivial, or ephemeral routine matters" (p. 187). Samples follows that up with by stating that if leaders are not careful that 30% can slowly dwindle to 20%, then 10% and 5%. Before a leader realizes it, 100% of the time is spent of the trivial or routine matters. I can definitely see this. In my previous position, my supervisor continually encouraged me to set time aside to do "big picture" thinking for my position. However, I seemed to always fill my time with the routine items . . . I always seemed to find something that needed to be done. I understand now how critical it is to carve this time into your schedule in order to not be bogged down by the trivial matter.

Sample also discussed the importance of surrounding yourself with good people and let them make the decisions. Not only does this provide them with the opportunity to develop decision making skills, but it allows the top leader to provide support and encouragement. I would support this concept. I would hope that I am able to do this when I am in a director of housing role.

Maccoby's chapter focused on narcissitic leaders. Most people would see the negative aspect ov narcissitic--being too involved with yourself. However, Maccoby discussed the importance of productive narcissists. There are positives and negative aspects to be aware of, but many of the senior level leaders have a large part of a narcissistic personality. Maccoby shared Freud's three types of personalities: erotic, obsessive, and narcissistic. Additionally, he shared that parts of all three can be seen is most of us. Probably like most people, I tried to see myself in the descriptions of these personalities.

The erotic personality focuses on loving . . . loving and being loved are the most important. The obsessive personality focuses on creating order and self-reliant. Narcissistic personality are independent and want to be admired, not necessarily loved. I can honestly say that I see parts of each of these personalities in me. I crave order and the ability to be self-reliant. Furthermore, I can also see the need to be loved and to love others. I truly value relationships, especially with staff members. Lastly, I do like to be admired and can be seen as independent. With all of that said, I would probably argue that the narcissistic personality type is the smallest for me. I wonder what that means for future leadership roles. Maccoby shared that the strengths of a narcissistic leader are: great vision and scores of followers. I cannot say that I have a score of followers, but I do have the ability to have great visions for my organization. Maccoby also shares the weaknesses of narcissistic leaders: sensitive to criticism, poor listeners, lack of empathy, distaste for mentoring, and an intense desire to compete. I would say that I don't have many of these weaknesses, so maybe it is a good thing that the narcissistic personality is the smallest part.

Some things to ponder . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment